The Main Organ
This three-manual instrument, generally considered to be one of the finest pipe organs in the area was installed in 1888 by Brindley and Foster. There was a major refurbishment by Nicholson of Worcester in 1963 and a further rebuild by David Wells of Liverpool in 1997.
Both the ensemble and the tone of individual stops are of the highest quality. The core of the instrument is based on the original pipework but various additions and alterations have been made in the last two rebuilds. Recently, some £20,000 was spent releathering the main motors.
The Organ plays a vital role in the leading of regular worship but is also regularly used as recital instrument. Please see the Organ Recitals page for more information.
The Chamber Organ
The chamber organ was acquired in 2008. It was built in the 1980s for one of our parishioners and later donated to Whirlow Grange Christian Conference Centre. Following a refurbishment of the chapel at Whirlow the organ has found a new home in St John’s. The chamber organ has already been used in services and concerts and provides a new dimension to the music making in the church.
The Church offers Organ Scholarships to young players. For more informations please see our Scholarships page.