Social Justice Group
Who are we?
The group is made of members of the church family at St John’s, Ranmoor, with the full support of the Parochial Church council, who share a concern about social justice issues.
Who can be a member?
Anyone who is concerned about social justice issues.
How often do we meet?
Approximately 3/4 times a year or more often if needed. We meet to discuss issues and events that we are concerned about and are supporting.
What are our aims?
1. To respond to human need by loving service
2. To seek to transform unjust structures of society
3. To challenge violence and prejudice of every kind and to pursue peace and reconciliation
4. To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth
5. To bear witness to the joy of Gospel in seeking to transform our society
What do we do?
- We organise and support events promoting awareness of social justice issues e.g. Christin aid week
- We take part in coordinated action in our Church, our Diocese and across the world in an attempt to tackle poverty, suffering and prejudice.
- We seek to find ways of promoting an awareness of the importance of safeguarding the world and its resources.
- We recommend charities local, nation and international for the Church council to consider supporting each year.
- We raise awareness of and coordinate involvement in emergency relief appeals.