ST JOHN’S CHURCH, RANMOOR
Aims The Pastoral Care Group aims to provide short term care and practical support to members of our church family, working alongside the extensive informal support which exists between members of the congregation. Currently there are 6 lay members and the vicar and curate.
Most of our work comes via the clergy, who are most likely to be aware of need, and this is the most effective route. However, any member of the group can be approached and concerns will be discussed and acted upon, informally and immediately if necessary. In all our work careful attention is given to data protection and confidentiality.
What do we do?
Short term care
- Volunteers cook and deliver meals in a variety of circumstances.
- Visits to hospital/homes as appropriate.
- We maintain a stock of freezer meals, and keep it up to date with any surplus meals from the Wednesday Lunch Club.
Ongoing care and support
- The Wednesday Lunch Club provides lunch for approximately 14 or more people each week. All are welcome.
- Cards are sent to celebrate the anniversaries of baptisms and weddings in the church.
- Transport to and from church services can be arranged.
- Volunteers give communion to people in our community, in their own homes or care homes.
We meet every 4 – 6 weeks, in each others’ homes. We emphasise that care giving is voluntary and therefore ask volunteers for a commitment of no more than one year, to be followed by a review and opportunity to continue or not within the same or other role. We have annual suppers to thank volunteers and to review activities, challenges and relevant issues. There is an annual service of renewal and blessing for all members of the congregation who are involved in supporting others.